Last month we joined in with the '31 days of love' series over on Red Ted Art and made these fingerprint heart keepsakes with a special PRINTABLE POEM. These fingerprint keepsakes are created on mini canvases and are simple enough for toddlers and preschoolers to make. Alternatively you could make them on paper or card and turn then into greeting cards for Valentines day or Mothers day.
You will need: (affiliate links)
- Mini canvas and easel (You can get these cheaply instore or buy online UK link/ US link. Alternatively you could make your keepsake on card)
- Paint (we used acrylic)
- Sticky back plastic/ contact paper
- A heart shaped cutter to draw around
- Print out this cute I love you poem (We also used this poem to make fingerprint hearts)
How to make your fingerprint heart keepsake:
- Cut a piece of sticky back plastic to the size of your mini canvas.
- Cut a heart shape out of the middle of the sticky back plastic (TIP: Draw around a heart shaped biscuit cutter)
- Press the sticky back plastic onto the canvas. Make sure you press down hard around the edge of the heart shape.
- Dip your finger in paint and fill the cut out heart shape with fingerprints. We kept to 3 colours for each heart.
- Remove the sticky backed plastic. You will be left with a neat heart of fingerprints.
- Print off and stick the poem on the bottom of the canvas.
Harry did his fingerprints really carefully so you could see them well once they had dried. Daisy preferred to mix hers together a bit. I put the chosen colours onto a paper plate for the children to dip their fingers into.
These fingerprint hearts look really effective on the mini canvases but would also make lovely greeting cards.
Harry: Age 4
Daisy: Age 17 months
You might be interested in these links: