Looking for more FIREWORK activities? Take a look at our yummy firework biscuits, have fun painting and eating firework toast or get creative with firework playdough.
To do the magic milk fireworks experiment you will need:
- Full fat milk
- Food colouring
- Washing up liquid
- Cotton buds (q tips)
- A dish with a flat bottom
How to create the magical milky fireworks:
- Pour full fat milk into the bottom of a dish (enough to just cover the bottom).
- Add small drops of food colouring to the milk.
- Dip your cotton bud into washing up liquid and then into the milk (hold it still).
- Watch as the colours quickly dart away from the washing up liquid and start to swirl around the milk. Perfect fireworks!
THE SCIENCE: This colourful explosion takes place as the fat from the milk reacts with the soap. The food colouring makes it possible for us to see this chemical reaction. Click here for more information from Go Science Girls
Harry was totally amazed by this experiment and loved making the colours move around the milk. He experimented with dipping the cotton bud in different places and he encouraged the colours to swirl and mix around.
Harry aged 4
You might be interested in these links: