Todays rainbow activity was created to go with this weeks virtual book club story, 'A Rainbow of my Own' by Don Freeman. Scroll down for more activity ideas to accompany this book. Here is a affiliate link to buy the book (UK link/ US link) or you can watch the youtube video of the story below.
You will need:
- Ziplock bags
- Food colouring
- Container/ tub for the rainbow spaghtetti
How to make rainbow spaghetti
Drain and rinse the spaghetti and put it into ziplock bags. You will need one bag per colour. Add food colouring and a few drops of water to each bag. We used wilton colour gel (UK link/ US link).
Zip the bags up and mix the spaghetti and food colouring together. Daisy (aged 2) helped me with this part. Squash it, squeeze it, throw it in the air, just keep moving the colour around the bag until all of the spaghetti is totally covered. Repeat with each colour.
Rainbow spaghetti sensory play
Daisy loved mixing the different coloured spaghetti together.
As the spaghetti and colouring used to make rainbow spaghetti is edible you don't need to worry about young children putting it into their mouths.
You could enhance this sensory play idea by hiding plastic minibeasts, figures or numbers in the spaghetti for little ones to hunt for, you could even give them some giant tweezers to use to pick up the items they find. The addition of small pots and pans would enable children to mix the spaghetti up or separate it into different pots as they cook up dinner or a magic potion. It would also be really fun to do this on a huge scale so that the children are able to sit in the rainbow spaghetti to explore it.
You might be interested in these links:
'A Rainbow of my Own' by Don Freeman
Take a look at the rainbow activities linked below.
- 5 Math Games using Painted Rainbow Counters - The Educators' Spin On It
- Rainbow Alphabet Activity- Growing Book by Book
- Easy rainbow name game - Toddler approved
- Find the Unicorn Rainbow Sensory Bin - Inspiration Laboratories
- Taste Safe Rainbow Sensory Play - Adventures and Play
- Preschool Color Activities - Roll and Cover Rainbow
- Awesome Rainbow Experiments for Kids- Teach Beside Me
- Construction Paper Rainbow Craft from The Moments at Home
- Mixing Colors to Make a Rainbow - Mama Smiles
- CVC Word Family Rainbow Puzzles - Sea of KnowledgeRainbow Words - Rainy Day Mum
- Rainbow Preschool Music Craft & Song - Preschool Powol Packets