For this poppy craft you will need:
Button (or black paint)
green craft stick
Green card (for leaf)
How to make a poppy print:
- Cut your potato in half length ways. (I like to cut a handle into the top of the potato to stop the potato slipping when printing.)
- Dip the potato into red paint.
- Make 2 prints, 1 slightly above the other.
- Add a black button for the centre of the poppy.
- Leave to dry.
- Once dry cut out the poppy and add a stem and a leaf. Add a bit of sticky tape to the back and wear your poppy with pride.
We also made some poppies in a field . Instead of using a button for the centre of the poppy we dipped a cork into black paint and used it to print with. We printed the green stems by dipping the edge of a piece of cardboard into green paint.
This animation is a great way of helping kids appreciate the emotions involved in war and remembrance.
You might be interested in these links: